Maximum Computer Performance in the Green Computing Age
After warring for years over browsers, hardware and operating systems, Silicon Valley is finally uniting on a single point: IT must become more energy efficient. With energy usage now on a par of importance with performance, maintaining existing performance now becomes a paramount issue. Below are some important performance tips common to computer systems and sites large and small for use in the new "green computing" era.
- Defragment hard drives. A primary -- and extremely common -- barrier to performance is disk file fragmentation, in which files are split into pieces (fragments) in order to maximize disk space. Regular defragmentation is vital and is performed at most computer sites. With today's enormous disk capacities and file sizes, however, attention must also be paid to the defragmentation technology. Scheduled defragmentation, in most cases, can no longer keep up with ever-escalating fragmentation rates, and sites would find greater benefit from a defragmenter which runs constantly and automatically, in the background, with no impact on system resources.
- Increase memory. Today's operating systems and applications are, in common parlance, "resource hogs", and they'll take as much memory as you throw at them. Hence, it is always worthwhile and will always boost performance to increase memory to the maximum allowed for a particular machine.
- Make sure anti-virus and anti-spyware programs are installed, running and up-to-date. Viruses and especially spyware can work insidiously, unseen inside a computer, drastically hindering performance. Of course, if not caught, viruses can do much worse than hinder performance, so it behooves everyone to insure reliable anti-virus and anti-spyware programs are installed and running.
- Reduce number of running programs. Checking over servers and especially user systems, how important is it that all those programs are running? Any running program will be chipping away at precious system resources, especially CPU and memory. It behooves computer sites to implement policies and restrictions on applications to be run, and to periodically check running applications to see how necessary they really are.
- Install faster hard drives. Another sometimes unseen hindrance to performance is hard drive speed. Although the hard drive is still the "weakest link" in terms of speed, gaining all possible speed from drives, especially those most frequently accessed, can assist in the fight for better performance.
It of course benefits us all to contribute in the fight to global climate change by "going green" with more energy-efficient computers. While being energy efficient, you can also maximize performance by instituting these and other performance-enhancing actions.
For more information see GreenerComputing.com
See more from Science and Technology
Other Pages You Might Enjoy...
The Meissen Porcelain Manufactory
For more than 300 years the Meissen Porcelain Manufactory has been a central figure in European porcelain. It was at Meissen that the first true hard-paste porcelain was manufactured outside of China, and the story of that accomplishment has the high drama of fiction - all the more intriguing because it is true.
Pirated Glassware that Collectors Want to Own
The 1996 discovery of what is believed to be the wreckage of Blackbeardís ship Queen Anneís Revenge, is providing historians and collectors new information about the fragile and transparent objects that came onto the North American Continent before arrival of the first piece of cut glass.
Collecting Antique Furniture
Of all the collectible antiques, the broad category of furniture is perhaps the most widely held and most satisfying. Frequently handed down through generations, the various chairs, tables, cabinets and other pieces are often in use, adding character and constancy to our daily lives. This guide includes an overview of the significant styles and historical periods, and other important information for collectors.
Collecting Antique Clocks and Watches
Information for collectors of antique clocks and watches. Includes a history of clock and watchmaking, an overview of styles, and important terminology.
Collecting Antique Jewelry
Embodying the wealth and treasure of bygone days, the antique jewelry pieces available today include some of the world's most valuable artifacts. Includes a history of jewelry making, an overview of the major historical periods, and a glossary of antique jewelry terminology.
Home of the Do It Yourself Chatterbot Project. Has a ready to go chatterbot shell and full instructions on how to program it.
Warm weather brings high electricity bills as utilities struggle to keep up with peak demand.
Here are seven tips to help you save money while conserving resources and helping the environment.
Education and Assessment Help Protect Pets From Disease Risks
Pets can be exposed to illness causing organisms in many common areas such as parks, backyards and even inside the home. Fortunately, disease risks can be reduced through pet owner education, wellness exams and risk assessment from a veterinarian.
Better Salmon Farming Techniques Would Protect Chile's Patagonian Lakes
The majority of salmon consumed in the U.S. is farmed, and the bulk of it comes from Chile. Fish farming has emerged as the most significant point source of pollution for Chile's unique and pristine Patagonian Lakes.
Sesame Place: A Pennsylvania Theme Park for Young Children
For some children, a theme park can be overwhelming, but not Sesame Place. This Pennsylvania destination in Langhorne near Philadelphia encourages children to seek out adventure with the same philosophies as Sesame Street.
You Can Raise Your Credit Score
Is a low FICO score is preventing you from getting a loan or forcing you into accepting unfavorable terms and rates? Is so then there are simple, ethical steps you can take to repair and restore your credit.
Size Does Matter: Big Companies Retain Employees Longer
Research shows that employees at larger firms earn more and stay longer than those working at smaller firms.
Popping the Question - The Second Time Around
Getting ready for a second, or third, marriage brings its own unique concerns, not the least of which are financial. It may not be the most romantic notion, but a peak into your intended's past can go a long way to ensuring a happy future for the two of you.